Sunday, April 6, 2008

Right vs. Left

People in Provo, UT don't seem to be able to tell right from left. I've had to ask for directions three times today, and 100% of the people I've asked (only two people, but still!) have gotten right and left backward.

With the first girl, on the phone looking for the hotel, I thought it was just a curious mistake. "Turn right at the light and the hotel is on the left" should have been "Turn left at the light and the hotel is on the right." I shrugged it off. But then 20 minutes later, after checking in, I asked for directions to the elevator, and she got it wrong again, and then I knew something was up. For someone working at a hotel, where many guests are presumably unfamiliar with the area, this is a significant handicap. Later, at a restaurant, I asked someone else where the restroom was, and the right/left aspect of the directions were wrong again!

For fun, I'm going to start asking people directions to locations I already know, just to see what they say.

2 comments:

Lisa (aka TCMH) said...

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe you had them backwards?

CeeDubbVA said...

The thought did occur to me - surely it makes more sense for just one person to be wrong. But I held out my hands and the left hand is the one where the forefinger and thumb make the "L" - I got it right.