If you've read the previous post, you may find it amusing that I'm not the brightest bulb either. I left town for a week today and didn't bring my driver's license. Oh, I have my passport, so I could get on the plane, but no license, which makes renting a car rather difficult (read: impossible).
Fortunately, it's not a total disaster. My hotel is within walking distance of where I'm working this week, so the only hard part was getting to the hotel, which was an unfortunate $120. Ouch. A very dear friend is Fed Ex'ing the license so I'll have it in time for my bonus weekend at the national parks a few hours away. So really, it could be worse.
What's amazing is that I had so many opportunities to bring a license and still ended up here without. I actually have two licenses at the moment because I lost one, replaced it, and then recovered it. One of the licenses is sitting in a small pile of items from my last trip, the pile of items that was considered and rejected for the current trip. I supposedly had my other license, so why bring a duplicate?
The license that I thought was in my purse is actually in the back pocket of the jeans I wore Friday night. I came this close to bringing that pair, but ultimately pruned them from the suitcase because they were long and I expected to wear flats this week.
These are the kind of circumstances that will make a really good story someday if something happens that would only take place without having a car: I avoided an avalanche where I would have been hiking today, the cab driver later this week ends up being the man of my dreams or a long-long cousin, that sort of thing. I'm still watching for the hand of fate and will keep you posted. In the meantime, I'll be doing a lot of walking.
coming soon…
6 years ago
1 comment:
I forgot my license one time - but at least it was a trip to NYC. I didn't have my passport. Somehow (pre-9/11), I convinced them to let me on with a wallet of all kinds of ID - scuba, warehouse club, and IBM. I think it was the IBM that put me over the top.
Post a Comment