Monday, April 7, 2008

New Habits

I've realized this week that I've picked up two new habits:

(1) I've started thinking about myself in the third person.

"Cheryl likes the bubbles that result from setting down the dishwashing soap." "Cheryl wonders why nobody in Provo knows directions." "Cheryl has picked up several irritating new habits."

This is a side effect of increased Facebook usage - the status updates are always written in the third person. The constant vigilance for an amusing update has resulted in a habit distressingly similar to the "royal we."

(2) I cannot set down a small object on a flat surface without deliberation.

Pens, my hands-free devices, lip gloss, anything smaller than a breadbox...they all have a tendency to be treated as toys by the small gremlin living in my house. These "toys" usually end up under the TV stand or a larger piece of furniture, not to be seen again for many months.

Away from home this week, I've experienced this phenomenon with my earrings, eye drops, and the room key. I start to set the item down, hesitate while considering the item's safety, then realize there are no gremlins here. I then set the item down with a mixture of relief and regret. I miss the gremlin.