The Wood Brothers played a local show the other night. They're a guitar/bass duo, actual brothers, who are incredibly talented. I was invited by a good friend, and it took me back to a time in my life when I often saw several bands a week. I miss that!
This was the best type of show, the kind that sweeps you up and carries you along without a sense of time or place. I watched Chris rock out with his bass like he was Eddie Van Halen, making it a full body experience. Now his fingers dance, plucking the strings. Now he glides the bow across the strings, then tossing it away. I watched the strings glint in the stage lights and saw the worn spots where he thumps the body of the bass for the occasional percussive touch. I heard Oliver rasping out the lyrics, watched him bob to the music and slide his fingers over the strings of his acoustic and electric guitars. Time ceased to pass as the music swirled around me.
For an hour or two, I was transported outside of myself and immersed in the music. I should do this more often.
coming soon…
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment