Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 in Review

Tally from 2011:
  • 4 continents, assuming you include North America and consider Iceland part of Europe, and 4 countries (in chronological order): Argentina, USA, China, Iceland
  • 5472 photos that I considered worth keeping
  • 22.5 vacation days taken from work: 40% for family events, 60% for pure selfish fun! Amendment: 66% for family events, if you count the fact that my parents were on (instigated!) the trip to China.

Other fun times, in no particular order:

  • Buenos Aires (with Kristin and Lang)
  • New Orleans for Jazz Fest (with Celeste, Kristin, and Heidi)
  • family relaxation/birthday celebration in Boone
  • Roanoke/Charlotte for Thanksgiving and Christmas
  • Yellowstone National Park with Pascal
  • camping with Sara
  • pool time with another Sara
  • music and "knitting" with Heidi
  • Jimmy Buffett with my brother for his birthday
  • mucho fabulous music (Jazz Fest, Kennedy Center, 9:30 Club, a flight to another city to see a 90's favorite)
  • learning to cook vegan and learning more about where my food comes from
  • cooking yummy, don't-count-the-calories food with Pam and her family (the wine helped discourage the counting)
  • too-infrequent get-togethers with Judy and her family
  • dance performances (my first ballet and step show, Stomp)
  • photography classes/seminars with National Geographic and Washington Photo Safaris
  • CSA membership/home delivery of fresh produces
  • good times in my college town, including parties, concerts, and staying at a B&B
  • lots of good food and wine and laughter with friends to which my friend Elle introduced me
  • two 5K's with my nephew Charlie, including one in jeans and flip-flops with a DSLR
  • two inconclusive mammograms followed by a negative sonogram (whew!)
  • third company acquisition, the second in my current job (I now work for NetIQ.)
  • fourth or fifth consecutive year not sending Christmas cards :(
  • first opera
  • first coworker retirement party
  • first time avoiding the hype and doing what I REALLY want to do for New Years - reflecting and planning

I feel very fortunate! I have wonderful, amazing, interesting, caring friends. I genuinely like my family and enjoy spending time with them. My job is interesting, fulfilling, and varied. I live in an amazing area with all sorts of amazing opportunities, and I'm lucky enough to travel frequently, which increases my appreciation of home.


2011's been good, and I look forward to seeing what 2012 has to bring!

No comments: