Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Cross-post from my Avon Walk for Breast Cancer page:

I’ve committed to participating in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in Charlotte, NC at the end of October. It’s a big commitment - a marathon and a half of walking in two days and a minimum donation commitment of $1800 - but it is a worthy cause.

I'm doing this for love.

Love fpr my family who've experienced the fear of being diagnosed with this disease and gone through sometimes painful, sometimes simply inconvenient, treatments. The survivors: my mother, my aunt who was recently diagnosed, my sister-in-law's mother. And the ones who lost the battle, particularly my paternal grandmother, whom I never met because treatment wasn't as advanced in the 1960s.

Love for my friend who underwent a double mastectomy and has become a valuable mentor for other people going through the experience.

Love for my friends who have struggled with fear and uncertainty after finding a mysterious lump.

Love for my sister-in-law Heather, who's agreed to walk this journey with me.

Love and hope for my niece, Emma, that breast cancer will be a less likely prospect in her thirties than it is in mine.

Love for all the people to whom I send this, both men and women, who have been affected by breast cancer without me even knowing it.

The money I raise will be used to provide access to care, fund educational programs, and accelerate research into new treatments and potential cures.

How You Can Help

Ask me about my training. I'll need all the motivation I can get to work up to the necessary distance. Your questions, concern, and interest are a powerful motivator! So is the embarrassment that would accompany having to confess having slacked off on training. :) So ask me about it.

You can also donate.

Thank you in advance!

2 comments:

CeeDubbVA said...

For the record, although I asked for donations in my original post, I don't strictly need funds anymore. I surpassed my fundraising goal a week or two ago, thanks to the generosity of friends, family members, and friends of friends!

Kristin said...

Donations for next year. Maybe?! I'm so very proud of you. You're going to do great! I mean, you already have done great. You've made it to the starting line.