Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Standards of Service

Recently, I received services from someone who did a decidedly substandard job. He was rude and acted like he was doing us a big favor by performing his basic job functions. He neglected us and refused to meet our basic biological needs. Nevertheless, I tipped slightly over the recommended amount. My friend, equally annoyed, topped my tip by 30%.

This friend consistently tips more than I do, making me feel cheap even when I tip well according to American standards. I've never talked to her about it, but perhaps her philosophy is that she has it and they probably need it, so why not be generous?

That makes the money a charity rather than a tip, in my mind. (Note: This is not intended as a criticism of said friend.) My philosophy is that a tip is a "thank you" for a service provided. I start with what I think is a healthy tip for an adequate job and then adjust based on whether the person added or detracted from my experience.

I reward effort: musicians, jugglers, the "bushman" at Fisherman's Wharf. A recent friendly waitress ("waitron" in South Africa) approached a friend and me outside the restaurant, answered questions about the menu, and then proceeded to do everything in her power to make our dining experience a pleasant one. She went above and beyond, so not only did we give her a generous tip, but we sang her praises to the manager before we left. It was without a doubt the best dining experience of my month-long vacation. That's effort that should be rewarded.

My acts of charity are less ambiguous. I donate to organizations, or I donate my time. I liked the attitude of a recent tour guide. Confronted by several beggar boys at a petrol stop, he refused to hand out change. "Next time I come through, you wash my windows or carry groceries, and I'll pay you." His rationale was that if he gave them money for nothing, what's their incentive to ever do more than panhandle?

No comments: